When many people think of braces, they think of pre-teens and teenagers. However, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21. Adults are pursuing orthodontic treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their oral health, and they want to improve the look and feel of their smile. According to the Wall Street Journal the number of adults seeking orthodontic treatment has risen by 40% since 1996.
Common reasons for adults to seek Orthodontic Treatment:
- Teeth that fit together incorrectly (malocclusion)
- Teeth that are too crowded or too far apart, which may have led to oral health issues
- New or worsening jaw pain or pressure
- Desire to improve the look and feel of a smile
Treatment Options for Adults:
The aesthetics of metal braces often discourage adults from seeking orthodontic treatment. However, our office offers a variety of treatment options with professional adults in mind:
- Ceramic Braces
- Lingual (behind the tooth) braces
What is the difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens?
When children or teens are in orthodontic treatment, their jawbones are still developing. For adult patients, these bones have stopped growing, which may affect the recommended course of treatment.
Why should you consider Orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth – It is much easier to floss and brush if your teeth are in proper alignment. Regular and effective brushing and flossing may help prevent gum, tooth, or bone loss as well as other health problems.
- A straight smile builds confidence – Boosted self-confidence resulting from successful orthodontic treatment can give you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile!
- Untreated mouths can get worse – If you do not receive orthodontic treatment when it is needed, there can be long term health consequences that will be more costly in the end.
To learn more about adult orthodontics, give our office a call to schedule an appointment.