Smiles that last forever
Retainers are used to hold teeth in their new position so that the bone can re-form around them, ensuring that teeth stay properly aligned. At our office in Concord, we use retainers to maintain the results of your orthodontic treatment. We offer different styles, including Hawleys, Viveras, and Bonded retainers. At the end of your treatment, we will discuss which style would be best for you!
Without the use of retainers, teeth can shift back to their initial arrangement (something known as relapse). We recommend the use of orthodontic retainers to help patients of all ages keep their teeth nicely aligned after active treatment with braces or Invisalign.
Looking for orthodontic retainers near you? Start now with a free consultation — no referral needed!
– Dr. Luba Richter
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of retainers do you offer?
In our Concord office, we offer the following types of orthodontic retainers:
- Hawley retainers: Combine metal and acrylic
- Vivera retainers: Made of clear plastic, virtually invisible and removable
- Bonded retainers: Metal wire fixed behind your teeth
The right retainer for you will depend on your specific needs. Dr. Richter will work with you to decide which is best for you.
Does it hurt to wear a retainer?
How do I care for my retainer?
At our office, Dr. Richter will give you detailed instructions on how to take proper care of your retainer. These include:
- Rinse your retainers after every meal. Also, brush them with a toothbrush when you are brushing your teeth.
- Do not place retainers in boiling water or leave them in direct sunlight.
- Retainers can be lost or broken if put in pockets, purses, wrapped in tissue/napkins, or left out within animals’ reach (dogs love them!). Please always put them directly into their case — the rule is in the face or in the case!
- Remove retainers as instructed to prevent breakage.
How long do I need to wear my retainers?
- During the first 6 months, retainers need to be worn for at least 20 hours a day.
- After 6 months, retainers will need to be worn every night for 12 months.
- After 12 months of nighttime wear, patients can reduce retainer wear to 4-5 nights a week.
Do I need to wear a retainer forever?
Forces such as grinding, clenching, and chewing can cause teeth to shift over time. To prevent this, Dr. Richter recommends patients wear their retainers for life.
If you have any other questions about retainers or you think you may need one, our team at Luba Richter Orthodontics is ready to help! Contact us in Concord and find orthodontic retainers near you today!
Hear From Our Patients
I have had nothing but a great experience at Dr. Richter’s! Everyone is super nice and helpful! Thank you front desk ladies, assistants and doctors for your kindness and for caring.
— Jennifer M.
Very friendly environment and they know what they are doing. You can feel very safe and confident about how your kid is gonna look in the future.
— Pramada K.
Dr. Richter was very nice and informative and lets you know everything up front including costs for you to make your decision before moving forward. The office was very clean, bright, and cheery.
— Nancy T.
Best orthodontist in capital city! Always receive a warm welcome from Calvin and Amanda. Highly recommend to everyone!
— Jameson S.
My whole family has been treated by Dr. Richter, everyone at her practice has always been fantastic!
— Tom W.
The experience is very, very good one overall! It’s great that the waiting room has fun video games to entertain the younger kids.
— Jennie L.
Sit back and relax. Our office is designed with safety, cleanliness, and comfort in mind. We wouldn’t have it any other way.
Friday - Sunday: Closed
Ready to get started?
Book your free initial consultation.
Discover the difference Luba Richter Orthodontics can make in your life. Welcoming patients ages 6 to 100+!
1. Book your free initial consult and meet with an orthodontist
2. Work together to start your smile journey
3. See your smile — and your life — change for the better